It isn’t the food, (well, OK the food’s pretty great), and it isn’t the gifts. It’s eggnog. I don’t consider eggnog food. It’s in a category all by itself. I think it’s probably what the angels and the righteous drink in the World to Come, and if I have my way it’ll be served at the Messianic feast, along with lots of other goodies.
Anyway, Trep has posted his recipe again this year, and since I’ve got a mixer now, I might actually make it. So without further adeu, here’s the recipe with instruction, and some well-chosen comments.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup brandy, rum or bourbon (optional but highly recommended)
- All liquids should be very cold. Refrigerate in advance.
- Beat the eggs for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Turn the mixer off and stir in the cold booze, whipping cream and milk.
- Chill some more before serving (if you can wait… I never can).
- Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg.
Makes a little over 2 quarts (after taking several ‘samples’ for quality control purposes)
What are you still doing here looking at the screen?! The kitchen is that way!