PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS CONTINUED TO TAKE THE LEAD IN PEACE TALKS AS HE
SIGNED A HISTORIC PEACE AGREEMENT WITH THE TALIBAN IN AFGHANISTAN,
WHICH WOULD END AMERICAS LONGEST WAR
On February 2, 2020, the Trump Administration signed a preliminary peace agreement with
the Taliban that sets the stage to end America's longest war.
• Under the agreement, the U.S. will withdraw nearly 5,000 troops from the country in
135 days in exchange for a Taliban agreement to not allow Afghanistan to be used for
• Time Magazine reported that other components of the agreement included an
agreement that U.S. counterterrorism forces stay in the country, permissions
for the CIA to operate in Taliban-held areas, and details of how the Taliban's
promises to reduce violence will be monitored and verified.
• The deal has been called the " best chance to end this conflict ," a " decisive move "
towards peace, and " the best path " for the United States.
• The war in Afghanistan is the longest in U.S. history, a conflict that has killed more
than 3,500 U.S. and NATO troops and cost U.S. taxpayers nearly 900 billion dollars.
• As part of the peace agreement, the Taliban and the Afghan government recently
began historic peace talks which would end decades of war that Afghanistan has
• The negotiations will cover the terms of a permanent ceasefire, the rights of
women and minorities, and the disarmament of the country's many militia
Update 16 August 2021: The above URL now results in a 404. Continuing the Republican tradition of trying to be cute with 404 templates and failing miserably at it, the page reads:
IT LOOKS LIKE YOU’RE AS LOST AS BIDEN IS
LET’S GET BACK ON TRACK